“Head off the beaten path, it’s easy to do around Vernon. Disconnect from your routine and reconnect with nature, stepping out on trails that start within our city limits, or further afield, in the Monashee Range Hike through incredible vistas of jagged and rolling mountain peaks, ancient grasslands, and vibrant wildflower meadows; alongside cascading waterfalls and at the door of abandoned gold and silver mines. The tranquility of the deep forest can restore your equilibrium like no place else. No matter where you roam, you’ll be stepping into a region that simply invites exploration.” – 2013 Vernon Visitor Guide
We asked our Facebook and Twitter friends to send in their top picks for Hiking Trails around Vernon BC, and along with some staff favourites we’ve compiled a list of the Top 10 Trails.
- Grey Canal Trail – BC’s longest irrigation channel, the trail follows the canal alignment, and at certain sections the original pipelines can still be seen. Staff Pick – Short Walking Trail
- Mt Rose Swanson – “Mt. Rose just outside Vernon, in Armstrong. Beautiful 7 KM, 3 hr. hike, and you can see the 3 main lakes in Vernon.” Leanne Irwin
- BX Creek Falls – 2km creek-side trail with refreshing falls, perfect to cool down on a hot summer day. Staff Pick – Afternoon Hike
- Kalamalka Lake Provincial Park – 14km network of trails through grassland, wetlands, canyons and forests. Colette Silva
- Silver Star Mountain Resort – From the top of the mountain you can see unparalleled views of the Monashee Mountain Range, the Okanagan Valley and its majestic lakes below. Staff Pick – Day Hike
- Camels Hump Trail – 6 km round trip trail near Lumby, views of the Creighton Valley and town of Lumby. BCVC at YVR
- Vernon Hills Trails – Number of shorter trails, with different forest ecosystems. The Easthill Trail has a steep climb but rewards you with views of the Coldstream Valley. Staff Pick – Great Views
- Ellison Provincial Park – Head out along Okanagan Lake for beaches, nature trails, mountain biking and more – Colette Silva
- High Rim Trail – 55km trail between Vernon and Kelowna, six trailheads, rugged and breathtaking. Staff Bucket List
- Your Pick – Share your favourite hiking/walking trail in the Vernon area with us!